Question
Posted by: Santie | 2010-11-03

Bipolar and the best eating plan

Doc, I am bipolar and on prescribed medicine. I really want to lose weight - what would be the best eating plan to lose weight and to uplift the depression?

Dear Santie
I am sorry to hear that you suffer from bipolar disorder. You can try combining an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), with exercise. Increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 or more minutes per day. The exercise component will not only stimulate your metabolism, but also 'lift' your mood, so it is important that you do as much exercise as possible.
I hope you will feel less depressed and that the diet and exercise will help you lose weight.

3
Posted by: JC - psych | 2010-11-12

HI Ulandi,

I''m really sorry that you''ve struggled with your weight being bipolar and on meds. I must however strongly recommend however that you do not stop your meds (and if you are considering it, consult your doctor first so that if yo do go that route, you stop them gradually - sudden stopping can be bad). Bipolar is best managed with continued use of medication an dpsychotherapy. Coming off your meds could be extremely detrimental. I''d say if you''re struggling with your weight it''d be a good idea to mention this to your psychiatrist/doctor who is managing your meds and see what they suggest? perhaps they will want to test for other issues such as thyroid functioning. And then, importantly, I''d consult with a dietician and work out a meal plan that works for you. And, as the dietdoc said above, exercise is key and really useful as well in managing your bipolar. I really do wish you the best in managing this condition.

Reply to JC - psych
Posted by: Ulandi'' | 2010-11-04

Hi Santie, im also Bipolar and gained 25kg over a year on my meds. it has now caused severe depression ontop of the bipolar and im completely withdrawn. if i may ask, what meds are u on and how much did u gain? im thinking of stopping my meds, im that desperate.

Reply to Ulandi''
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-11-03

Dear Santie