Question
Posted by: Marieta | 2010-09-30

Bipolar and Pregnant

My step daughter has been diagnosed with Bipolar 2 and she just found out that she is 6 weeks pregnant. She is on Lamictin 100mg, Zoloft 50mg and Aterax 25mg. We are getting conflicting information on should she stay on the meds or go off at least until the 3rd trimester. I is obviously not ideal to go off the meds but we are concerned for the babies health. What would you suggest.

I wonder where you are geting the conflicing information from ? Not all sources are worth taking seriously. With a diagnosis like Bipolar 2, this should ONLY be made by a properly trained psychiatrist, who should now be informed about the pregnancy, and weight all releant factors. Among these would be the likely risk of a serious episode of depression or mania during the pregnancy, with the risk to the foetus of the drugs, I don't ynderstand using Aterax in bipolar disorder anyway, and would not use it during pregnancy. See the shrink and discuss weighing the different risks realisically.
This is NOT a situation that should be managed by a GP alone

2
Posted by: Tralla. | 2010-10-03

I stopped all my meds when I found out and started them again the next day after giving birth. It worked well for me even though I had some tough times. It was much more bearable than I anticipated. Good luck to her and take CS''s advice to heart.

Reply to Tralla.