Question
Posted by: A | 2009-05-26

Bipolar and pregnancy

hi there! i would like to know how does one control your moods when you are pregnant and what medication is safe to take for bipolar, I am not pregnant yet, but am engaged to be married and would love to have a family. Please let me know

Expert ImageArchive

Psychologist:
You need to see a psychologist who are trained in cognitive therapy to teach you how to control your moods. You need to learn that as soon as possible because it take time and effort to master the skill. A psychiatrist will be able to advise you on the medication when pregnant.
Suzette

1

There seems to be no antidote for women who experience low libido and the inability to reach orgasm due to their meds. Taking a drug holiday is dangerous as it unsettles mood. Viagra and Cialis don' t work. Anything new on the market? Also, how do you advise sufferers with low libido to satisfy their partners when they are rarely in the mood and don' t get much satisfaction from sex any longer due to the dulling effect of the meds. Changing meds is not a good recommendation for people with bipolar who have taken a long time to stabilise - especially when it comes to finding an anti-depressant that works.