Posted by: Arwen | 2009-05-25

Bipolar and pregnancy

hi there! i would like to know how does one control your moods when you are pregnant and what medication is safe to take for bipolar, I am not pregnant yet, but am engaged to be married and would love to have a family. Please let me know.

Well, not having ever been pregnant, I can't give a personal response, though I'm sure other readers can. The issue of psych medication during pregnancy is highly intricate, and includes weighing up the relative risks of different medications and the very real risks of going UNtreated through such an episode ; and the nature of your bipolar disorder, and how it has previously responded to treatment, etc. So see a good local psychiatrist for a full assessment and advice based on the findings of that assessment. YOu are wise to have recognized this issue in advance, and so can have the lucury of planning sensibly before the pregnancy, so as to deal with it as well as is practical

I think you must discuss it with your prescibing doctor as not all meddications are bad but rather be safe than sorry as caution should really be taken when it comes to side effects in general. Maybe you would be fortunate enough to go without any medication as there are normal phases inbetween as you just would have to get your timing right....