Question
Posted by: Lin | 2011/03/02

Bipolar and memories

I was professionally diagnosed with Bipolar 3 years ago. I was on meds for 2 years and then stopped cold turkey (not wise I know now).
The weird thing is that I''ve lost memories. Even childhood memories. Some come back when someone explains what happened to me, others I just can''t remember at all. It feels as if I''ve lost years of my life.
I''ve now started to keep a diary. And sometimes when I read back (say a month ago) i can''t remember it.
I''m completing my degree and I study hard. When I sit down for an exam it feels as if I haven''t even touched the textbook. But I get distinctions, so I must know the stuff?
It hasn''t always been like this. I used to have a pretty good memory. It''s just since I started the meds (the only reason why I stopped).

Hm, I don't understand why you would have lost memories. Are you certain you ever did remember all these poast events ? Most of us actually have a far more shaky recollection of the past than we imagine we do.
As you describe the recent experience regarding examns, it also sounds as though your ACTUAL memory must be OK how else could you get distinctions if you have global memory impairment ? - but a lack of confidence in your memory sounds like the main problem.

1