Question
Posted by: Moody | 2010/02/15

Bipolar and medication

I’ ve been diagnosed with post natal depression and used Cilift on and off for 3 years. Still suffered from mood swings, GP then changed meds to Fluoxitine for 5 months. Went to new GP who did blood tests and said my cortisol levels were EXTREMELY high…  prescribed Cipralex (and new birth control pill) which I’ ve been using for the last 6 months but I still suffered from severe mood swings… 

I went to a psychiatrist last week who diagnosed me with bipolar depression (and nearly fainted because of all the “ ‘ wrong”  medication). He prescribed Convulex (valproic acid 150mg twice daily). Is this the correct medication and how long will it take before it starts working, as I am still very emotional and cry a lot.

With any complicated Depression and ALL bipola Disorder, a person should be seen and assessed by a specalist psychiatrist, whi can confirm the diagnosis and plan the treatment - this should not be left entirely to the GP. And GPs should NOT be doing blood cortisol levels in diagnosing Depression - this is NOT the recoomended or revognized procedure at all.
I am not surprised that the psychiatrist nearly fainted - thank goodness you're seeing him now.
You need to discuss the treament plan with your psychiatrist. COnvulex is useful in many people to help stabilize mood swings, though it is not an antidep[ressant as such - presumably your psychiatrist will also be treating you with an antidepressant if you are now currently so depresse. On a new AD one may need to wait 2 to 3 weeks to see the full benefits or before considering changing the AD, though you may feel better before that.

1