Question
Posted by: Fellow sufferer | 2008/09/12

Bipolar and depreesion

My wife is a Bipolar Depression Suffer. She' s currently on Venlor and Epitec. We would like to start a family. Only next year my Med-Aid will classify her condition as a chronic condition. At the moment any Physc visits are CASH. Meds cash. We would like to know if it is possible for her to fall pregnant with her condition. Is there better medication out with less risk in pregnancy. Gyni reckons a slight increase in risk with current medication but we are a bit scared.Any help would be appreciated.

Nothing about her condition would be likely to make it difficult for her to fall pregnant. But she should avoid falling pregnant until she has had a full re-assessment, preferably by a psychiatrist who has treated her before and knows her condition, her risks,and the responses to treatment, well. Thenhe would have to sit with you and discuss the options, to balance the risks of an untreated bipolar disorder with the relative risks of different combinatiopns of meds, depending on what she has or hasn't responded to previously. The point is there are slight risks whatever you do, but some risks are greater than others, and some drugs may have greater risks at some stages of pregnancy than others. I understand the issue of costs, but of course problems with the pregnancy or child would cost a very great deal more than one good consultation.