Question
Posted by: ck | 2010/11/16

Bipolar and borderline

I''''ve been diagnosed with Bipolar about 7 years ago and Borderline 3 years ago. I''''ve been ''''coping'''' as best I can, but there are days where I just dont know how to carry on without feeling that there''''s no hope of ever feeling ''''normal'''' enough. I''''ve had my spurts of going off the meds. For the past couple of months I''''ve taken them religiously and then 3 months ago I stopped taking it out of pure frustration and the fact that my manic episode in July caused terrible financial strain. I dont know how to reach out to people anymore without feeling I''''m being judged. Is there ANY hope left?? I''''m currently on Lamotrigine 200mg, the psychiatrist doesnt want me back on anti=depressants and my biggest problem at the moment is the terrible fluctuations in my mood. All happy, hyper and active the one moment and the next I''''m crying....AND to top it all I''''m not sleeping at all. I''''ve been on 2 hours max a night, taking sleeping tabs, and its doing nothing....and started taking painkilllers - not even sure why? Is this medication the best option available??? I''''m fedup and ''''moedeloos''''....

I like your phrase "normal enough" - I'm not sure I've ever met an entirely "normal" person, but most of us manage to be normal enough to get by. Some people are lucky enough to find the right medicines to suit their paticular chemistry, right away. For some of us, it takes time to find the right meds to achieve useful control of the situation. And of course, medicines not taken usually don't help much. Do I understand that the manic episode came after you stopped the meds ?
Why do you feel other people are judging you ? ( In my experience, most people are so self-absorbed that they hardly notice if you're bleeding) Is it that some people who tangled with you when you were too high may remember that and wonder how you are now ?
Psychotherapy can help you cope, IF used along with proper medication. I'm sure painkillers won't help - they have no benefits and many possible problems with regards to your moods and ability to cope.
Have you had a serious chat with your psychiatrist about the issues you raise here, to get an understanding from someone who knows you well ?

2
Posted by: ck | 2010/11/16

No, the manic episode came when we were starting to re-adjust the meds....increasing the Lamitrogine while we were decreasing the anti-depressants. I''ve told the psychiatrist that my moods are just all over the place at the moment. Maybe external factors are not helping the situation - but, my biggest problem right now is not sleeping....I''m going to see him this evening, so hopefully he''ll have some more advice?! I" m just tired of the the fact that everytime I have one of my depressed cycles it feels as if its worse than the previous one and makes me take longer to stabiiize again. Yeh, maybe the feeling judged comes from the people who is around me knowing that I" m usually quite upbeat and cant understand why this down is having such a negative impact on me at the moment? But - if I hear one more time: ''snap out of it? I might just punch them!''

Reply to ck