Question
Posted by: Kirsten Koopman | 2011/05/24

Bipolar Affective Disorder (hypomania)

What exactly does my psychiatrist mean when he says i have hypomania? what kind of diagnosis is that, this was in my first session, next session in a month, wondering what to expect and how this condition will change my life and relationships

Of course, it was your psychiatrist's absolute duty to explain this to you in detail, even in a first session. Bipolar Disorder is one in which, at different times, one's mood may rise into being far too consistently high ( hypomania ) and at other times may sink into being unrealistically low ( depression ).
Treatment involves both medication and counselling to help you deal with either end of the mood swings, and medications like Lithium that actually help to control the mood swings themselves. Ask your doctor to explain all this to you very clearly, to outline exactly how he suggests you control the hypomania and the bipolar disorder it forms part of, and then to explore in later sessions how it will potentially affect your life, and how best to cope with it

1