Question
Posted by: Coco | 2012/09/05

Bipolar

Hi, my doc said that I don''t have to tell people that I bp because I don''t look like I have it and no one has to know (im embarrassed). I am not sure what he meant? What do people with bp look like?

I've no idea what someone with Bipolar Disorder is supposed to look like - other than just like anyobody else ! I suspect this is what your doctor was trying to say. And you have no more reason to feel embarrassed about having this than about having any other disorder. Its not your fault, any more than if you had diabetes, and really not anyone else's business. Maybe your doc can recommend a couinsellor you could see for a couple of sessions to sort out how you feel about having this particular disorder and planning to cope with it as well as you can

1