Question
Posted by: Chanel | 2012/06/20

Bipolar

Hi there,

I need to find a doctor I live in Sunninghill and cant afford any of the doctors here they all charge private rates.

I am a 28 year old female.

I think I might have bipolar I have most of the symptoms (well at least 99%) and I have stopped using drugs and drinking as i thought that could be causing the problems (it was difficult I was really addicted) and I am really struggling not to use again... but still the symptoms remain even though im sober... I am at a point where I think if I dont get help soon I am scared that the situation is getting really dangerous for me and my loved ones every time I have a episode I get more agressive and there is no telling when it will happen my moods are so up and down. I even got demoted at work as I cant concentrate for long enough to get the job done...I will lose my job completely soon:-(
And I cant control it, no matter how hard I try... Pls help where do I go?

I would think most doctors would charge private patients, at private rates, though they should charge people with medical aid at medical aid rates. I've always thought it grossly unfair ( as someone without medical aid ) that those of us having to pay for ourselves, get charged at the highest rate around, with no concession at all.
If yo have managed to stop drug and alcohol abuse on your own, that's really impressive. But you do need a proper expert assessment and a discussion of treatment options. Explore what services should be available through your nearest emdical school of major provincial hospital or clinic.
With proper treatment it should be practical to improve this situation significantly

3
Posted by: Liza | 2012/06/20

Bipolar is on the list of prescribed minimum benefits. All medical aids are legally obliged to pay for treatment and medication should you be diagnosed with bipolar. They might insist that you use state facilities or designated service providers, but they can''t refuse to pay. Just remember that the services provided at state hospitals are better than the services provided at state clinics - but that clinics cost less and the waiting times are usually less. Tara does have an outpatient department, so it would be a good place to start. Since they''re a hospital, the level of care would also exceed the level of care at a clinic.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Chanel | 2012/06/20

Thank you for your reply - I have medical aid they just wont pay for this. Do you think Tara Hospital could help me?

Reply to Chanel