Question
Posted by: Help needed | 2012-03-14

Bipolar

My ex has bipolar and has been taking medication for it for at least 12 years. I know how out of hand he can still get though when upset (blind rage/aggression). We are currently working on a parenting plan with a social worker and was wondering if I should advise her re his condition, purely for the fact that he has been acting more agressive lately and I feel really uncomfortable letting our child go and visit him. What can i do?? I know he will never hurt anyone intentionally, but I have know him for long enough to know what his outbusts can get like and my little one is only 4 1/2.

Obviously, HE should inform the social worker that he has this relevant problem ; and if she finds out about it otherwise, she might consider it a bad sign that he hid something so relevant from her. If this is a genuine issue ( rather than part of a battle between ex's ) it could be considered fair for you to discuss it with the docial worker as a valid concern of yours. Presumably he is seeing a psychiatrist and taking proper mood stabilizing meds for Bipolar Disorder, because not bothering to take helpful treatment could be considered even more irresponsible on his side.
Have any of his outbursts before now in any way involved the child ? Does he have family, like a sister or mother, who could join and supervise such visits ?

2
Posted by: Help needed | 2012-03-14

Thanks for the reply - he has never had an outburst infront of our child before, but he also hasnt been seeing him much lately. We have been divorced for two years now and it seems like his anger towards me has become much more intensified for some reason or another and this is my mian concern - that he projects his anger towards me on our child. Unfortumately his family stay far away, but he does have a girlfriend who lives with him. But I will definitely take your advise and mention it to the social worker if he doesn with our next session.

Reply to Help needed