Question
Posted by: concerned | 2010/05/03

Bipolar

Dear Dr - to much to explain in one letter but the long and short is that I as friend and business partner I had to see how a friend, over time is currently walking a road of self destruction. With all the medical knowledge I have and all the hours and hours of reading up
I did, I am quite sure my business partner is suffering from Bipolar depression and at the most intense and difficult times of our business she will be totally Euphoric etc right down to being totally depressed two weeks later doing the most irrational things possible
- I am working very heard at getting her to a psychologist - but she does not believe there is anything wrong with her. The problem I stuck with is although we both Christian people she
truly believes that God speaks to her and that what she is doing is the correct way and everybody els is wrong - she is so obsessed with that fact and when anybody dares to disagree
she will point out that we not being good Christians. Is there a name to this obsession with GOD ????? - Please do not think I am being blasphemis - I am a solid Christian - but I need to know how to handle this person?? -

A belief that God speaaks to you can be part of some forms of general Christian belief ( and that of other religions, too ). But when someone believes that God speaks specially to her, in a way not shared by other people, it can also be a delusional belief, occurring in severe depression or mania. And surely if God were speaking to one, you'd not believe this would lead to foolish behaviour.
I agree with Maria - explore with her church and explain the situation, and see if she can be approached by a senior figure she believes in and trusts, to suggest that all is not well with her, that the situation is not as Gopd would want it, and to encourage her to see a competent local psychiatrist ( I suggest that as she may need medication ) and psychologist.

9
Posted by: concerned | 2010/05/05

Thank you - At this stage praying seem to be the only thing that I can do to help in this situation. - If things get better Im sure to let you know .... watch this space.  -)

Reply to concerned
Posted by: Been there | 2010/05/05

so sorry to hear this... she def somehow needs to get help from a different phycologist or better a phyciatrist. I''ve been on antidepressants before that actually caused my one mania episode so one has be very carefull with medication. I have bipolar 2 which leans more to depression than mania.. iit is so sad when someone does not know how ill they are and it then effects all those around them and specially the children.

I will keep you and her in my prayers.

Reply to Been there
Posted by: Concerned | 2010/05/04

She has been seeing a psychologist for more than a year and unfortunately after quite intense investigation it became apparent that the two has become " friends"  going to places together doing things together yet is being consulted and paid by the same person on a weekly basis. She most definitely dont refer to herself as God and would see it as blasphemes but she would gladly take the position of his right hand man.She is on a antidepressant for app 1 year now -dont know what dont know who prescribed - and for what reason. We just know that she told friends about her using it. She is harming her children by psychologically scaring them - the rest of the world is bad - we all bad father his family " old"  fiends - everyone els is evil and will hurt them and is " hurting"  her - kids dont ask for evidence they just believe - and when they hear the same story day after day they start believing it. - My heart is broken for them and I feel so useless.

Reply to Concerned
Posted by: Been there | 2010/05/04

Hi, one of the problems with a mania episode is that one can have a belief that you can hear things or even be someone else(even though it seems very real at the time). I''ve heard of a lot of stories were bipolar people believe they are Jesus... this is all part of the illness and she needs medical attention.

Reply to Been there
Posted by: Maria | 2010/05/03

Concerned, my understanding is that it would be possible to have her admitted to hospital involuntarily if she is a danger to herself or others. It''s not clear to what extent this might be the case. You can perhaps ask CS about this in a new post, or her husband can approach their gp or a psychiatrist to ask for help.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: concerned | 2010/05/03

To Jay -Will God tell her to tell lies? To alienate her children from her husband - will God tell her to neglect her children constantly leave them in other peoples care because she is to tiered to be a mother.
Will God tell her to scenive behind other peoples back,telling untrue stories to her church pastor - that believed her at first and supported her but when he realized she was lying confronted her -
now he is seen as evil and non supportive? As I said to much to write in one letter the problem is she has a serious mental illness and her husband and children is suffering - I need to help but can only help with enough information. It my Christian duty.
So thank you for the advice but the only thing I need to be understanding about is her obsession to justify her wrong doings with - God tells me to!

Reply to concerned
Posted by: Jay | 2010/05/03

God does speak to His children. Don''t under estimate His power and don''t judge her. Be more understanding.

Reply to Jay
Posted by: Maria | 2010/05/03

Does she belong to a church? Is there a priest, deacon or some sort of spiritual advisor she will take advice from? It might help if someone like that can tell her she needs secular medical help.

Reply to Maria