Posted by: kim | 2009-09-03

Hi, I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and also have a drinking problem. The problem is that with any bipolar person i have my extreme lows and the most amazing highs. i' m proud to say that i did' nt take a drink for 5weeks now but since then i have not had a high. is it possible that alcohol actually caused the highs and i' m not really bipolar. please help as i' m really depressed about the current situation. thank you

You need to see a good local psychiatrist for a full assessment and to make a realistic treatment plan. The alcoholism will need to be dealt with promptly, as its continuance is likely to mess up the treatment of the Bipolar Disorder. Alcohol will not cause the highs ( it's a depressant drug, and we only feel temporarily high because the first part of our brain function are suppresses is the intelligence / self-control functions ! ) and its more likely the other way round. A psychiatrist will be able to clarify your very valid question about diagnosis, by a comprehensive assessment. Congratulations on staying away from drink for 5 weeks so far.
A major problem in treating bipolar disorder is that some people enjoy their highs, and because when high one's judhement is seriously impaired, we remember the pleasures and not the risks and the damage that can arise during a high.

Posted by: Anon (as always) | 2009-09-03

Hi Kim,

I know that the diagnosis probably freaked you out a bit, but isn' t it great to know that there is a name for what you have?

When I found out I was Bipolar, I freaked out a bit, but my relief was deeper. I did some research and realised that I CAN and WILL be a successful person. All I have to do, is take my meds every day and see my psych every now and then. That is not too much to ask for a happy life?

Tim Burton, Ludwig von Beethoven, Vivian Leigh, Sylvia Plath, Theodore Rooseveld... these are all people who' re Bipolar. And the list goes on! The choice will always be in your hands.

Good luck, from one BP to another.

Reply to Anon (as always)