Posted by: Linda | 2009-05-31

Hi doc, my child turned 20 this year and she' s always been very strong emotionaly and a while back she started to have this moods. She' s very depressed and then suddenly while crying she is hyper. This moods wings(very depressed and then exstremely happy) lasted for about 3weeks. She sleeps al the time, she wont eat sometimes. She wont go out with her friends. Then suddenly she was normal again. Irritable yes, but normal for about 4weeks. Now suddenly her moods starts again, first very depressed then hyper. But she is more in her depressed state than in her hyper state. Can this be bipolar? Can bipolar show itself, go away and reshow itself again after a while? If so, what do i need to do?

OK, at 20, she's no longer a child, though of course always a daughter. I'm not sure what you mean by "hyper", as if this behaviour occurs during crying spells, you're probably referring to agitation, rather than the sort of "hyper" behaviour seen in a manic episode. In ordinary bipolar disorder, mood swings are not so rapid as to change within a day. What she needs is to see a competent clinical psychologist or psychiatrist for a full and detailed assessment, after which a diagnosis can be made, and only then can one sensibly discuss possible treatment.