Posted by: sandy | 2008-11-28

? when one has bipolar can they do things that they are unacountable for when under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
my husband confuse' s me as when his in this stage he wants dirty sex and if left alone can' t be trusted with the maid, his been once to england and was known to sleep with another man, is this all down to bipolar?.his got a high sex drive and can go on all night even wanting me to take part in threesomes tells you stories of been a train smasher and I refuse and think maybe it' s the drugs etc that makes him like this as when his sober he can' t look one in the face and hates it when you remind him of all his doen and said, is he mental?, it is a tiresome relationship as one doesn' t know when his gonna take to these bad ways, it' s normally when he cuts down on his medication.

Tpp complex a question to answer in the abstract. If someone is severely manic or depressed, and doesn't know what's wrong, they might possibly be held less accountable for some of their actions. If they have been diagnosed and are on effective treatment, and choose to stop the treatment, or to confound it by foolish use of drugs and/or alcohol, then they should be considered totally responsible for their actions. In a simpler version --- if someone puts alcohol or drugs into your drink without you knowing, it might not be your fault if you misbehave. But if you chose to get drunk, then whatever happens is your fault.
If your husband is stuipid enough to be drinking and taking drugs, his other diagnosis is irreolevant --- he is deliberately choosing to make any treatment useless, and to indulge himself as he pleases. And his sexual behaviour, like his drinking and drug-taking, is not caused by his disorder, but by the choices he makes. If in addition he cuts down his meds, probably so as to better enjoy the drinking and drugging, then he's a fool, and preventing himself from receiving effective treatment. Do you really need to stay with someone so destructive of himself and potentially others, including you ?

Posted by: Bella | 2008-11-28

I am bipolar as well, and sometimes ' wake up'  out of a slumber after an episode, where I have been drnking excessively and experimented with sex, having a highly increased sex drive at the time. I hate myself for doing that, not part of my personality. However, I can feel an episode coming on, then I try to stay clear of alcohol or anything that might put me in danger of acting in a manner that will hurt me. Can he ask for help when he feels an episode coming on? Is he aware of it happening?

Reply to Bella
Posted by: berni | 2008-11-28

hi there i' m bi polar and i must admit if i drink on my meds i do things i regret having one or two drinks is fine but they clash together i think because they both sepresents mt psychologist advised me strongly not to over do it, at times my sex drive also gets extremely high that if i had a chance i would also have wild sex but i stay away from people when i' m like this as it has gotten me into some trouble and its out of charater completely, however i dont think you can blame the bi polar completely maybe some therepy together?

Reply to berni