Question
Posted by: Hazel | 2010/08/23

BIPOLAR 2 and MEDS

I am 43 and was only diagnosed with Bipolar 2 in Aug ''09, was in Denmar for 3 weeks. On the following meds daily - 1 x Wellbutrin, 2x Lamictin, 2 x Pur-blocka, 2 x Urbanol, 1 x Cipralex and 2 x Seroquel. I am really tired of all the meds, I won''t stop drinking them, but I am permanently tired, depressed, picked up over 10 kg''s since Aug (that adds to the depression). I am concerned that I am on far too much medication, I felt more normal without the meds than I do on the meds, please help, I am only able to see my Psychiatrist in 2 months time.

Weight gain can indeed be an annoying side-effect o some of these meds, in some of us ( fortunately not in ALL of us ). They can still be influenced by the usual interventions - a more careful and healthy diet and exercise plan. And the whole plan needs to be discussed with your psychiatrist - the medley of meds is worthwhile if it enables you to feel well and stable. If while on it you are still depressed, its not yet an ideal combination.
Nobody from outside, without the benefit of knowing all about you, and without having conducted a detailed eprsonal assessment, can advise on any logical changes to this medication ensemble, but discussion with your shrink should be able to sort this out.
When you say you're only able to see your psychiatrist in 2 months time, is this because he/she isn't available till then, or is this a resriction imposed by your medical aid ? Either way, it isn't a wise restriction

1