Question
Posted by: Johan | 2010/11/08

Bipolar 2?

I am currently suffering from a severe major depressive episode with anxiety and panic attacks. I am on AD''s and I am feeling that my mood is slightly lifting although my anxiety symptoms are still bad. I was reading a bit on Bipolar 2 and have discovered that most of the symptoms associated with hypomania really describes me when I feel " normal" . I innitially quit my AD''s about 2 months ago because I felt so great. Another thing is that I have had 3 previous major depressive episodes that needed hospitalisation, have a family history of mental disorders and my problems with depression started in my early 20. Could it be that I am rather Bipolar 2 than depression?

Hi Johan,
It can be hard to tell - compared with the misery of Depression, normalcy might FEEL manic, withou necessarily being so. The only way to be sure is to see a good local psychiatrist for a careful in-person assessment and diagnosis, and a discussion of what that means and of treatment options.

2
Posted by: Liza | 2010/11/08

This should be discussed with a specialist psychiatrist (definitely not a GP) for diagnosis. It is definitely possible though.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza

Hi Johan,