Posted by: Dietitian | 2009-01-12

Biochemistry of food

Hi, doc
I' m a dietitian in JHB and is realy interested in the biochemistry of food and how it affects health, for example the structure of lipids and its affect on heart diseases / cholesterol.

I' m looking for such a textbook or reading book but the usual CNA / PNA stationary places doesn' t have that type of books.

Do you maybe have any idea where such a topic book is readily available or intertnet literature?

Dear Dietitian
I don't know if the libraries at WITS or RAU have any books or journals on nutrition, but you can certainly phone these libraries to find out. When you phone the universities also ask them which bookshops in Joburg stock technical books in the fields of Biochemistry and Nutrition. In Pretoria the university bookshop does stock handbooks in these fields, so you could also phone the University of Pretoria. The handbook "Krause’s Food, Nutrition & Diet Therapy. 11th Ed. Mahan LK, Escott-Stump S (Editors).Published by WB Saunders Co, Philadelphia" is a good handbook to start with.
Enjoy your reading