Question
Posted by: anna | 2010/04/04

BIO PLUS

My hysband drinks a lot of bioplus (200 ml in a two day perdiod) I try to get it through to him that it can be addictive. He is a recovered alcoholic and I am concerned about this. He also drinks a lot of energy drinks. Can you please tell me whether I need to be concerned or not?

Expert ImageArchive

Greetings

I notice that you refer to your husband as a recovered alcoholic. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a recovered alcoholic or addict.

RECOVERING alcoholic yes. The process of recovery is an ongoing process; addiction can only be arrested and never cured.

One drink will put your husband back into that endless cycle of wanting more and more...where one drink is too many and a thousand not enough.

And this is exactly what is happening with these so-called energy drinks. He wants more...that is why they refer to addiction as 'the disease of more'.

These energy drinks are stimulants and they produce a certain effect or a type of high. Your husband is chasing that high and he is indulging his addictive side.

I have been in AA and NA for nearly a decade and I have seen many addicts and alcoholics experiment with these 'innocent' energy drinks.

This sort of ‘innocent’ indulgence is frequently the beginning of denial creeping back. These energy drinks have often helped as the lubricant to the other side, the side where the F-You switch is flipped and the addict or alcoholic relapses.

If your husband took this seriously, HE would have been the one writing in to this forum. If he constantly feels tired, he should see his doctor, not use shortcuts (typical addict behaviour) to quickly access artificial energy.

I can imagine how hideous he must feel when he comes off these merry little useless highs. He must stop these drinks, they spell danger.

If you need more information, you can email me at herman@harmonyclinic.co.za

2
Posted by: ChireenB | 2010/04/15

I am a recovering alcoholic. If your husband uses Bio Plus, he unfortunately is not sober as it contains alcohol (read the label) I also went the route of energy drinks even after I came into recovery, because it still gave me a buzz (mind and mood altering). I''ve had a relapse after 16 months (on one drink) a month ago, one drink is too many, a thousand never enough!!!! Because I know now what the mental obsession and the craving/allergy is, I for the first time experienced it, and it was HELL!! I believe that the energy drinks definitely added to my relapse, although I had a traumatic experience, if I had practiced my program (12 Steps) the way I should''ve, I could''ve beaten the traumatic incident and not have picked up.... Putting down a drink is simply not enough.

Reply to ChireenB
Posted by: Addictions Expert Forum | 2010/04/05

Greetings

Reply to Addictions Expert Forum