Question
Posted by: Gege | 2010/09/03

Binges

I have about 30 kg to lose. I am going to therapy and see a dietician. However my binge eating is getting a lot worse. I think its because I have to go out of my comfort zone with the therapy. My worst is sugar, bread etc. I am allergic to these foods and its making me sick yet its just takes complete control over me. Meaning I do these action with out thinking, my head isnt in reality when I go crazy with these foods its as if I run on autopilot. I cant think of wilpower as I dont think when I am doing this, I dont even remember just how much sugar I had etc. The sugar does make me feel spacy and out of reality which is why I like it. Will something like hypnosis be able to help me to get more control over what Im doing. Even if its just to focus on what I am doing so I can focus on why Im eating etc. Or even just help to take the cravings away.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Gege,
I am sorry that I have taken a few days to get back to you. I have been very busy in my practice and struggled to find time to log into the forum. I am relieved to hear that you are in therapy (I assume psychotherapy) and that you are seeing a dietician. Good plan. As much as I am here to offer advice and guidance, I do not want to interfere with your therapeutic process, so please take my view as just that – one view. When you say that your bingeing is getting worse as a result of going out of your comfort zone in therapy, do you mean to say that your psychotherapy is evoking many emotions and making it difficult for you to contain your eating to within your dietician’s guidelines? If this is the case, you must mention this to your therapists and consider that your therapy push less on the deep issues, and pay more attention on just helping you to become more focussed on the dietician’s meal plan. If your therapy and dietician are trying to help you with limits in your eating and this is pushing you to revolt (being oppositional), discuss this in therapy, as it would be helpful to identify where this behavioural mechanism comes from. Your therapy should be assisting you right now to be compliant to your meal plan. Okay, now here is MY take on the sugar issue. Personally, I am dead against the notion of avoiding so-called “trigger foods” or the notion of “allergic” foods when this term is used too loosely. I do not believe that you should be trying to avoid sugar or bread, unless an allergy specialist has determined through proper medical scientific tests that you have an allergic reaction to such foods. I will stick my head out and say that it is very unlikely that you are allergic in the true sense. Rather, you likely respond to foods that have a high glycaemic index (GI), which will raise your blood sugar and drop it again in a flash. As such, you will be starving and full and starving again in quick succession. Talk to your dietician about the types of foods and an eating style that will help you maintain a stable blood sugar. I always talk about moderation rather than exclusion. A little sugar and some bread, rather than trying to banish them like some forbidden fruit. After all, you seem to time and time again go back to bingeing on them. I see this all the time. Consider just keeping a balance, and your weight will likely come down slowly by just adopting a healthy and moderated way of eating and living. Discuss this with your professionals. As for hypnosis, it has its place, but there is very little research evidence of the long-term benefits in hypnosis helping individuals with eating disorders. I do not practice hypnosis myself and I am not an expert in it, and so cannot say too much as an authority. However, in 20 years I cannot recall hearing a success story of sustained long-term weight loss through hypnosis. Someone, let me know if you have heard otherwise? I hope this helps.
Regards,
Graham

2
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/09/07

Hello Gege,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert
Posted by: in same boat | 2010/09/03

It is good that you are seeing a dietician &  therapist. You might not think so right now, but you are on your way to recovery. I, too, am a binge eater and agree with what you say. When we binge, our minds shut off and we stop thinking. We try to fill an empty hole and we stuff ourselves but we never get full. I dont see any harm in trying hypnosis as long as you continue with seeing your therapist and dietician. Our eating is all connected to emotions and this is why therapy and a good dietician are important. This is a wonderful forum for people with eating problems.

Reply to in same boat