Question
Posted by: Sucks | 2010-01-11

Binge eating

What is the best treatment for binge eating? I go into days of eating huge amounts of sugar to the point of gaining 4 kg in 11 days. During these days my mind switch of, i dont care about anything else only sugar and dont even realize just how much I am eating. I have no interest in taking meds for this, that is no solution to the problem. What if I swop my binge eating to addiction to the meds? Any other treatments that have good results with this? Thanks

If you suspect binge eating, for whatver cause, is a significant problem for you, the first step should be to see a good local pschiatrist for a thorough asessment to check what the correct diagnosis is, and then to discuss treatment choices related to that diagnosis. Medications are rarely the ONLY solution to anything, but can often be a really useful PART of the solution, so keep an open mind about this and discus it with the shrink.
And meantime, why not start by making sure you have no sugar ( in whatever form you devour it ) in your home, so you cany just eat it without thinking.
YOu are, in a way, 'addicted" to thbinge eating - no good shrink woul;d use with you meds you could get addicted to.

3
Posted by: mow | 2010-01-13

I went to an Overeaters anonmous meeting last week. check them out on the interenet. will definately go back

Reply to mow
Posted by: Maria | 2010-01-11

First see your gp for a thorough checkup to determine if there isn' t a biological reason for your binge eating. If that is ruled out I suggest you go for therapy.

Reply to Maria