Posted by: CJ | 2009-10-08

binge eating

dear diet doc
i really need ur help! i am having a problem lately with binge eating and i dont know what to do. about 5 months ago i was very underweight and since then steadily gained weight until i reached a target-with a hellp of a dietician but now i find after recently writing exams i have been binge eating when sad stressed bored etc! i am now so unhappy with the weight i have gained and really want to be back to how i used to be! how can i find a balance and just eat normally not too little or excessively?! at my lowest i weighed 45kg and now i weigh about 52, my height is 163 and i am 17 years old. eating recently is just a stress factor for me and is making me so unhappy pls help!!

Dear CJ
Seeing that your present BMI = 19,5 which is still far below the normal or the ideal level for your height (i.e. for an ideal BMI of 22, you would need to weigh 58 kg!), your concern about your weight indicates that you are not yet over your eating disorder (when you weighed 45 kg, your BMI = 16,9 which is anorexic). Please go back to your dietitian and discuss these anxieties and the binge eating with her because I do think that you need additional therapy to prevent you from slipping into the horrors of an eating disorder every time you experience stress. I would also recommend that you consult a clinical psychologist to help you cope with anxiety and stress in a more positive way otherwise you may develop eating disorders for the rest of your life. Let the psychologist help you to learn better ways of handling stress.
Go for professional help ASAP