Question
Posted by: Drunk guy | 2011/02/01

Binge drinking as a way out?

Hey All,

Maybe i''m not seeing something here, but when you are younger, like when you just hit that legal drinking age, teens binge drink as it''s " cool" , you know, peer pressure. I did it a few times etc...

But now, i''m older, late 20''s, settled with work etc. However, i''ve been going out lately and just been drinking a lot... it''s usually at parties - not like for a meal or anything.

I''m single. I feel that a couple of drinks do help to make me more relaxed as i''m a very stiff person. But, the problem is i''ve been taking it too far after that. To an extent where I actually have blanks in my memory, which has been happening almost every weekend.

I don''t do like crazy things, but just what my friends tell me. I even organised some evening at my place this week with people and I don''t even remember doing it! I even have a new number of someone that asked if it was still on - I don''t remember this.

I tend to just become a more confident person (in my mind)... but I''d prefer not to get totally drunk when i''m doing this.

Any suggestions, what''s going on?

Sadly, teens ofen decide something is "cool" when it's actually dumb, dangerous and looks truly stupid. As you know well, a "couple of drinks" is fine - but more than that is NOT fine, and you become someone with lousy judgement, liable to do foolish things with major repercuissions, to make a fool of yourself, and if a driver even to risk other people's lives.
Memory blanks is a really good sign of drinking to the point of severely disordered brain function. And then you don't actually know what you mau have done ( your friends might not be a reliable source of information, and may not have seen everything you did ).
THis is a very false sense of confidence the alcohol creates - when drink or drugs makes someone confident they can fly ( as happens ) or that they can do things they acually cant ) real and serious damage can happen. It's a fake.
As you seem to have some concerns about being a bit stiff and inhibited, and wanting to relax in company - see a psychologist for something like CBT ( Cognitive-behaiour Therapy ) to solve these problems without creating further problems. And compared to the cost of drinking that much ( let alone the eventual cost of a liver transplant ) it's a bargain.

3
Posted by: Purple | 2011/02/01

Put an end to this student behaviour before it ruins your life - this is the start of a slippery slope.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: ABC | 2011/02/01

Ask a friend to record you when you''ve had to much to drink. You''ll see what a fool you look and maybe think twice before doing it again!

Reply to ABC