Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2010/11/09

BILTONG

Hi, i would like to know how healthy bilong is compared to choclate, because i want to know which is a better snak option?

Dear Mandy
According to the SA Food Tables, biltong with all visible fat removed contains 1039 kJ and 5.9 g of fat per 100g, while milk chocolate contains 2241 kJ and 30.6 g of fat per 100g. So from the point of view of losing weight, biltong without any visible fat has a lower energy and fat content than milk chocolate. Just keep in mind that both foods if eaten in excess can cause weight gain and that biltong has a high sodium content (2243 mg per 100g) which can affect blood pressure.

2
Posted by: Sad | 2010/11/13

I seem to be putting on weight at the rate of knots - my fault eat too much and eat the wrong food - I used to be very healthy - have run the Comrades before - now finding a short walk difficult! I am in my 50''s but do not have any symptoms of menopause. I try and get my head around healthy eating and then fall by the wayside. I have no problems at home - happy at work et etc.

Reply to Sad

Dear Mandy