Posted by: Cindy | 2010-03-25

Billary recovery period - Cats

I took my cat to the vet last week and it was diagnosed and treated for billary. The cat''s mouth was quite yellow (still is). They told me that the cat would not want to eat for a while, but he is still refusing food and getting thinner. I am trying to give him heptonic but he tends to spit it out. How can I get him to eat?

Dear Cindy

I think your cat needs to be hospitalised.

Posted by: Pieter Smit | 2015-07-27

I have moved from the inland to a coastal town. Since moving here, my cat has had biliary twice and I expect that he has just contracted it for a third time. In both the first as well as second 'illness' he had to undergo intensive blood and other tests. It was necessary to hospitalise him for a few days as he refused to drink water or eat. He also did not allow us to give him medicine so he had to be put on a drip. Prepare yourself to pay a lot for the treatment!

Reply to Pieter Smit
Posted by: Tarien | 2014-04-27

Hi Cindy My cat is suffering from the same issue. Did yours make it? I'm sooo worried about mine...

Reply to Tarien
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010-03-26

I hope you are still giving your cat 2-3 Primaquinine tablets once a week after his initial 36 hours. It should take about 2 months and then 10 days after the last tablet you take the cat back to the vet for a blood test to see if he is clean of the biliary otherwise you get another 2 months treatment. Have you spoken to your vet at all about his appetite? Cats dehydrate quickly and biliary in cats is more difficult to treat than dogs. Try him with some raw chicken livers or otherwise cook them slightly. I would take him back to the vet or at least speak to him. If he is that yellow still it might be an idea to have him hospitalised and observed for the week-end.
Good luck.

Reply to Cat Lady