Posted by: Mrs G | 2009-02-02

Bilharzia and Liver Cancer fears

My husband is 30years old, a big paddler and recently did the Dusi. He has had bilharzia numerous times and is already starting to show the usual syptoms of unexplained headaches and fatigue. The doctor usually treats him for it without the test because he says the blood test will always come up positive because he has had it so often before. I am worried that he could get liver cancer from all the infections and it would just go unnoticed because they just assume it is bilharzia again. What tests should we ask for to check if he really does have bilharzia and how do we ask the doctor to check for cancers?

Dear Mrs G
One gets 2 types of tests - one test for IGM - this shows acute infection, and IGG, which will be positive if you had bilharzia somewhere in the past. For accurate results you need to do the tests 6-8 weeks after possible contact.
Bilharzia Eggs in the urine or stool is still an important way to diagnose bilharzia.
One can screen for liver cancer by doing a liver function test and doing a sonar of the liver yearly.
See also