Posted by: Anon | 2009-09-15

Hi doc

My boyfriend was complaining about pain in his testicles. He came back from the doctor who told him it is probably Bilharzia. He said it can stay in the body for nearly 20 years and only then do you get sick.

Is this really so. I have never known Bilharzia to stay in the human body except that once you have it you get sick immediately.

Hallo Anon
You can get chronic bilharzia. However there are other causes of sore testicles, most commonly STD's or infection of the testis (Orchitis) which may need antibiotics.
Your boyfriend needs an urine test, examination of the testis, blood test to test for bilharzia antibodies and then needs treatment when a proper diagnosis is made