Question
Posted by: Hannelie | 2009-08-03

bilharzia

I' ve been diagnosed with having chronic hemorrhagic cystitis as a result from bilharzia. I believe this illness can take up to 20 years to manifest itself. I am under medication for the next two months to clear it up. What I would like to know is: would this " worm"  have cause the bad health I' ve been experiencing for the past few years? The weirdest things are " wrong"  with me. It started with having to have a hysterectomy, then my gall bladder had to be removed, then I was diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, now this bladder thing. Would the bilharzia have affected the liver so much as to cause the disease? Would all these problems go away once the bilharzia has cleared up? I don' t understand this illness, and the specialist I went to is not very communicative, so I' m still none the wiser.

Hi Hannelie
Bilharzia won't cause gall bladder problems or non alcoholic fatty disease. It can cause the following:
Early stage
• Itchiness of the skin
• Bloody, mucoid stools
• Fever & cough
• Diarrhea, abdominal pain, dysenteric attacks

Late stage
• Enlarged liver and spleen
• Weight loss, severe liver disease
• Anemia, jaundice, ascites

Complications
• Heart failure
• Epilepsy

it should not cause any problems if treated and the parasite is eliminated
see also http://www.dhpe.org/infect/schisto.html

1
Posted by: shirley goodwin | 2009-08-03

Have visited thailand a number times.Is it true that bilharzia may not show serious symptoms for many years?

Reply to shirley goodwin