Question
Posted by: Anne | 2009/02/17

Bilharzia

My son aged 21 has been diagnosed with prostatic hyperplasia. Could this be the result of bilharzia which he had a few times as a child? (We live on a farm) . Or maybe Tuberculosis of the bladder? What are the symptoms of TB of the bladder? Would the doctors test for these routinely or should I ask about that?
Thanks - looking forward to hear form you

Dear Anne
We usually see this in older men, and it is not caused by bilharzia or TB although TB can probably infect the prostate too. They would be able to see this on a sonar or when they do a biopsy of the prostate. Has he seen an urologist?