Question
Posted by: Nancy | 2009-07-16

Bile smell in stools

Over the past couple of weeks I' ve noticed that my stools smell quite ' bile'  like. The stools were also more clay like in colour. Its a bit of a concern for me as I can' t find any information regarding an over secretion of bile in the stools. Please advise as to what you think may be the cause of this. I' m 28 years old and a little bit overweight at the moment. I also had an operation a few months ago for an enlarged lump on my thyroid.

Dear Nancy
Bile is secreted on stimulation of fatty meals. Increased bile pigment in the stool can also be a sign of liver disease.