Question
Posted by: Sue | 2008/08/17

Bile Attacks

Dear Doc,
Whenever I drink a little too much - I’ m 20 years old: it happens - I don’ t throw up any of the alcohol in my drunkenness, but go to bed, eventually, and wake up at approx.
7o’  clock the next morning, to throw up ridiculous quantities of bile, any other fluid, pill, mucus, pleghm, whatever, that manages to reach my stomach, is thrown up immediately too. This “ bile attack”  often lasts for hours. I have two theories:
1. My liver becomes so confused from all the alcohol, that it secretes bile, even though alcohol doesn’ t contain any fat?
2. Bile builds up in my system, either in my stomach or galbladder, from excess fatty foods, and once alcohol stimulates the ‘ I-have-been-poisoned-I-need-to-get-this-out-of-my-system-by-purging-mechanism’ , all this bile gets a chance to be excreted?
Possible causes of liver damage:
I suffered from anorexia nervosa for 5 years (BMI of 11.2), I have attempted to commit suicide by OD’ ing on Vitamin A capsules, Anti-Depressants and Codeine (to which I was also addicted) I only drink socially, but I’ m a heavy smoker.
P.S. I’ m fine now, and don’ t need therapy, this is merely a physiological enquiry.

Sue

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

The only good advice that I have for you, is to stop drinking and smoking. Live a healthy life, with a lot of exercise and a well balanced diet.

You can however, have an ultrasound of your liver and gallbladder taken, in order to exclude any pathology, as well as gallstones.

Kind regards