Question
Posted by: Louis Rutherford | 2011-07-21

Bilateral Bundle Branch Block

Hi there doc., my brother of 60 years of age, was ayear or so ago, diagnosed with the above.
What is the prognosis and is one able to execise with this condition, as he is putting on weight.
I do notice at night that when he snores, it sounds very laboured and I hear only the inhaling or the exhaling, but not both, as is normally the case. Many thanks, Louis.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Louis,

Bilateral bundle branch block is an unusual abnormality of the conduction or electrical system of the heart.

Different people mean different things when they diagnose "bilateral bundle branch block" so I am not sure exactly what form your brothers takes.

Some people with BBBB need pacemakers while others do not need treatment of any kind. From what you have said I presume your brother has a mild or benign form of BBBB and does not need a pacemaker at present, though he may need one in future.

He should be able to exercise normally, and his snoring and breathing pattern at night sounds like it is not related in any way to BBBB. He should bear in mind the possibility that he may have a condition called sleep apnoea, and discuss it with his doctor

If you can give me more details about your brother's diagnosis of BBBB I may be able to give you a better answer to your question but ideally I would need to see his ECG.

JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011-07-22

Hi Louis,

JT

Reply to Cardiologist