Posted by: lucy | 2009-05-18

bikini area

hello doc, is there a way to lighten the skin on the bikini area. i wax and it' s gotten darker with age. is this even normal or am i reacting to the waxing? thank you...

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Lucy, thank you for the question.

You are most probably experiencing post inflammatory pigmentation (PIP) as a direct result from the waxing. This can be a difficult condition to treat and prevent but as a general rule I would try the following:

Immediately after waxing use ice or a cold pack to cool the area (5 to 10 minutes) and apply a calming cream such as Aloe Vera and consider using an over the counter steroid (cortisone) cream.

I would try the topical route first and use NeoStrata’s Pigment Lightening gel (at night) and the Brightening Cream SPF 15 (during the day).
If you are tanning in summer I would add a SPF 30 (that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide) or higher to the bikini area.
If one does not get a good effect (after 2 to 3 months regular daily use) one may consider IPL or laser pigment removal.