Posted by: Turf | 2012-01-21

Big toe problem

Good day Dr Burger

Just before the new year I injured something in my big toe while standing with my toes bent back on the ground packing things into a box. This was for quite a few minutes. About 6 hours later I could not step flat on my foot, it felt like a string pulling inside somewhere. It was very stupid of me to stand like that!

My GP is not sure of what happened. She initially said it must be a sprain of the entire arch of my foot considering how I stood on it. I have been using Cataflam and putting ice, heat, Voltaren, Reparil Gel and TransACT patches on it. I also started physiotherapy on it this week.

It is now just over 3 weeks and the problem seems to persist. I can move my big toe up and down completely (ie. bend it up and down completely) without any pain or discomfort, but it hurts when I put my hand underneath the toe and then try to press with my big toe on it. That hurts! As a result of this, it is a problem wearing a closed shoe and I am limping on the right side of my right foot all the time.

I had some swelling around the joint of my big toe and also along the inner arch of my foot, but the swelling seems to mostly have disappeared now. It was mostly swollen at night and much better in the morning when I woke up, just to be swelled up again the next evening. When I bend my big toe downwards completely, there is a slight clicking feeling/sound but no pain/soreness.

Can you please advise what this could be? Did I injure/tear a ligament slightly, and how long will this take to heal?

Is this possibly something sever?

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me!

You could have caused a small tare where the tendons implant into the bone. This injury can take up to 8 weeks to heal.