Posted by: Cheeky | 2009-07-10

Big cheeks

I have always had very full cheeks. When I was at school I was called all kinds of swear words and never had a boyfriend. I knew the cheeks were even more conspicous when I smiled so I tried to avoid smiling as it distorted my face. Now that I am older the cheeks are moving south a bit, and I have obvious lines on the sides of my nose with slight jowls. Now when I smile the mass pushes upwards and cause the skin below my eyes to wrinkle unnaturally and make also make my eyes smaller due to the pressure from below. When I try to sleep on my side the cheek at the top presses on my nose and I struggle to breath so I always sleep on my back. I have found a mouth and jaw surgeon who is willing to see me to consider removing the buccal fat pads. He mentioned that he does not want to remove too much as they lubricate the jaw muscles. I just want to get rid of it all and look like a normal person again. What is your opinion of this surgery? Will it be worth it? I am excited to find a possible solution but also scared. Please I need professional advice.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Cheeky, thank you for the question and my apologies for the long delay with my answer.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as one would need to examine the area of concern to give the best advice on treatment options. There are non surgical options to remove fat such as injectables and Laser Lipolysis. My suggestion is to email me photographs (front, oblique and side views in a relaxed position and smiling) to as this may help in answering your question.