Question
Posted by: andre | 2010-08-16

Big ache on the side of my head!!!

Dear Sir? I need to ask a question that I''m not sure how to phrase... Please allow me to speak freely in English and afrikaans :-) perhaps I could paint the picture best this way.....

When I eat - or open my mouth big, I get this excruciating pain (like somebody smacked me with a peice of wood) on the side of my head (right side) (so op die " slaap"  gedeelte) it hurts so bad for an instant of a second that I  at times, need to stop myself from falling over - it''s really damn painfull - the pain lasts for about 5min - vading as time passes and then everything is back to normal... this is happening more frequinlty and is a bit of a concern to me.... I''m 36, a type 2 bypolar person with a blood problem - Von Willibrandts (type 2) and I get a enough headaches to start sharing them with whom so ever would like one!! :-)

Please could you send me some guidance?

I thank you kindly
Andre Booysen

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Andre,

From the sound of it it is most likely that you have either a muscle spasm or a problem with the jaw joint. The only way we can be sure though is to do a thorough examination, and during the examination get you to open your jaw and bring on the pain. It most probably has something to do with your headaches, but the bipolar and von Willebrandts are not related to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).

2
Posted by: andre | 2010-08-16

Sir, I don''t mind bringing on the pain - it doesn''t alwais happen... but trust me - when it does, I know about it... how does one test for something that happens intermittantly? :-)

Anyhoo - thanks for your feedback - my head still hurts from earlier... perhaps I''ll seek that assistance and get some tests done, I think I''d role my car if this was to happen while I drive... it''s THAT big a painful shock!!!

Enjoy the day, kind regards

Andre Booysen

Reply to andre
Posted by: Headache expert | 2010-08-16

Dear Andre,

Reply to Headache expert