Posted by: b | 2009-02-26

bi polar child

i wonder if you can help me find out what the problem with my child could be. I suffer from Bi polar and am wondering if this could be my daughters problem to. the teacher at her school says she is inattentive in class and needs to be on ritalin she is seven years old and definately is extremely strong willed nothing fazes her she seems to want to go against everything i ask and i find myself shouting all the time she doesnt listen to anything i say and when she has been extremely defiant and i pick her out about it she tries to make me feel giulty by saying " im a very naughty child"  and refusing to accept the punishment i give out which is timeout is over she will not let herself be unpunished it almost as if she is punishing herself i have had her assed and conners reports done and she saw a chilld pyshciatrist but no body seems to think there is a problem she wont give me an inch im constantly on red alert doing battle with a seven year old something is very wrong with this picture it isnt good for my bi polar and i am finding it difficult staying optimistic about the situation.
the child Physciatrist says he thinks she has a sleep disorder but im not convinced because she has been sleeping through without calling me for about six months now. she doesnt get along very well with her peers she is always saying they are ugly to her but i wonder if it is her that just wants things her way all the time because she can be very demanding and sulks easily when she does not get her own way she has also taken to throwing the most annoying tantrums and screams like someone has killed her she never did this when she was two and is making up for lost time now. is her behavouir normal or do i have a bi polar child

thank you for your help

If a parent has definite Bipolar Disorder, a child's risk, across his/her life, of developing Bipolar Disorder is higher than in the average population, but not at all certain. But Bipolar Disorder, or something resembling it, in a young child, is uncommon or rare.
School teachers, if skilled, can notice anomalies in a child\'s behaviour, but have no qualifications whatver to make any diagnosis let alone to suggest treatment. Presumably this teacher is thinking of ADHD, rather than Bipolar, as a possible problem. But you seem to be describing behavioural and disciplne, soluble by pychological interventions, not Bipolar or other disorder. I don't hear anythin within your description which suggests any sleep disorder, but rather a typical battle for control within discipline. I'm surprised if a child psychiatrist didn't pick that up. Maybe a child psychologist would be more useful. This is most probably a behavioural problem which can be brought under control by behavioural methods, and NOT bipolar, ADHD< ot sleep disorder