Question
Posted by: afta- shock - sad!! | 2008-11-18

bi polar - carte blanche

Did any one see the carte blanche story about the bi polar condition of Katinka Heynes son. It came across very severe and almost scary to people who may have loved ones suffering from it. Is this really the case or does degrees of severity vary from one person to the next. Parts of it were dramatised and especially the suicide scene was very distressing.
Was the one expert who was interviewed justified in his comment that there is no cure for Bi Polar, that sufferers have to live with it for the rest of their lives and that the only thing one can do is to take prescribed meds to keep it at bay.
Is it really as debilitating as was illustrated, how do such people hold down careers between depressive and manic stages?
Is there hope for them to be able to cope with there own famiy building in the future....
I need to know all of this before I commit myself into a relationship with someone who has it.
your unbiased comments would be appreciated.

I don't any longer pay any attention to Carte Blanche stories on psychiatric, medical and scientific matters, as they don't seem to taske any good expert advice and their stories in this specific field are often unsatisfactory and misleading. And the stories too often upset and worry people rather than helping them. They seem too ready to exaggerate for dramatic effect.
The degree of severity of Bipolar Disorder varies widely between people, and even in the same person at different times in their lives. It is often controllable with good medication and other treatment, and many people with Bipolar Disorder lead good lives, in relationships, family and work, and have included some major world statesmen and artists, Don['t make any assumptions about the person entering your life, based on the Carte Blanche drama --- talk with him, and if necessary, his psychiatrist, to re-assure yourself

1
Posted by: penny | 2008-11-18

I am a mother of bio polar then child now an adult. Bio polar has highs and lows but the the right medication can be controlled but yes not cured. So its up to the people involved to make sure they see there doctor as he requests on a regualr basic to make sure all is well. I fine with my son that he does have these mood swings, he sees a clinical phy and and phyciatrist monthly. Dont run away from the problem give the one u love all the support and love u can. Love goes a long way. Chin Up. (yes my son did also try kill himself) but with mediation now says he cant believe he had actually done that.

Reply to penny