Question
Posted by: Dave | 2011/10/19

Bi-Polar and gaining weight!

Hi Doc,
I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar and Anxiety disorder close on 10 years ago and am very fortunate to live a fairly balanced and good life these days - thanks to the meds! However, weight is always an issue, and although many would say just cut the crap and diet, it''s NOT that easy. I just never seem to weigh much less whatever I do. I''m a good 10 Kg overweight, and male and getting older...so it gets harder! What I was wondering is if you or anyone else knows of the definites NOT to eat/drink, and the definites that I should eat if I''m Bi-Polar. On the net I read that there are such diet books for ''us'' but can''t seem to find such in South Africa. Any help.....

Of course many of us have weight problems, whether on meds or not. Some psych meds, including some used to treat bipolar disorder, do seem to encourage weight gain in some people ; but if one has achieved good mood control, one may well choose not to risk it by changing the meds that work for you. I"m not aware of any good evidence that any paticular foods are relevant, and need to be embraced or avoided. I wonder if anyone in the Anxiety/Depression Support Group has any sensible advice on this ? ( Their number should be on this page ).

1