Question
Posted by: DB | 2010/03/08

Bi-Polar and Anxiety

CS - I was diagnosed many years ago, and take my meds without fail (for Bi-Polar and Anxiety). Is the anxiety part of being Bi-Polar..? I don''t shake that often, except if I have a really bad attack. The anxiety ruins my lifestyle, and I would give my eye teeth to make it go away! It''s like a plague that follows me everywhere. Panic attacks can sometimes be the order of the day...yet afterwards, I can''t figure what I was anxious about!
I have never been offered Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, and although having heard of this, have no idea what it entails. Please could you be so kind and explain to me...as I wonder whether this wouldn''t be of great help to me.
Many Thanks....
P.S..I have recently changed Docs (for the first time ever) for a second opinion, and new approach, and hope he may send me off in a different direction - hopefully to my benefit... :-)

Anxiety is part of life, Bipolar or otherwise.
CBT would be the treatment of choice for you, It would take me hours to explain it to you, and I can;t do that here. Do discuss this with your new doc, and he should be able to refer you to someone who does CBT, for which there's loads of good research showing how effective it is
The Anxiety-Depression support group's website lists some shrinks who provide this.
Lisa's personal example is excellent.

2

Lisa's personal example is excellent.

Posted by: Liza | 2010/03/08

CBT helps enormously for anxiety. I also used to get panic attacks on a daily basis. This morning I started getting a panic attack. CBT helps me to realize that I''m getting anxious before it gets out of hand. Then I have various techniques to calm myself down. Concentrating on making your breathing slower not only slows down your breathing, but it takes your mind off the fact that you''re anxious. Anxiety is circular. The more anxious you are, the more anxious you get. If you can stop thinking about being anxious - your anxiety will actually be less. I also listen to peaceful music and then time my breathing to the music. That usually works very quickly.

HTH
Liza

Reply to Liza