Posted by: MadCat | 2009-05-26

I was incorrectly diagnosed with Major depression in November 2006. I was put on Venlor, but in January this year I went to a different Psychiatrist because the symptoms had returned - just worse. This dr diagnosed me with BPD and put me on new meds, but it seems that they are now no longer working, as I have very down days and very up days. Do I have some other mad disease?

Expert ImageArchive

One of the major challenges in bipolar disorder is that it often first present as a depression. Research is now showing that up to 40% of patients with a first episode depression may later in life have a manic or hypomanic episode and then the diagnosis will obviously change to bipolar disorder.

Sometimes one has to try a number of medications to get those right for you.

I suggest that you return to your psychiatrist and explain the symptoms you are still having. Your treatment can then be adjusted until you are well.

Good luck!