Question
Posted by: LC | 2008/07/17

bHCG test results

Hi, I found out on Tuesday that I am pregnant. Did a home kit twice and then went for a blood test at a GP which showed that I am in deed pregnant. This GP also did an internal examination and said she felt something and she recons I am 7 to 8 weeks pregnant. I then went for another blood test yesterday to find out how far along I am, the GP who did the blood test told me that you cannot say from blood tests how far along you are...Anyway, I got the results back this morning and it shows that the result is 280.3mIU/mL - according to their scales I am only 2 to 3 weeks pregnant? I am now totally confused? My last period started 25 May 2008, finished rouhgly 7 days later and then I had a bit of bleeding on 7 June 2008 on and off for a week. This did not seem to be normal when compared to my normal period, and I just thought it is because I am off the pill (went off end of April) and that my hormones were upside down! I am also not sure which date to use as my period date? What could this second bleeding mean?

Dear LC

Indeed there are serious discrepancies in both the blood results and dating the pregnancy from the last period. The level of 280.3 is indeed low for an expected pregnancy of 7 to 8 weeks and I would seriously consider an ultrasound scan to rule out the possibility of an early miscarriage.

Answered by: Dr.M.I. Cassim