Posted by: Anon | 2009-02-02

BHCG readings

Hi Doctor, I am worried.I have the following BHCG readings:

Last day of period was 22 December 2008

Did test on 26 January 09-reading was 3655

Did test on Thursday 29 January approximately 66 hours later reading was 6596 (63 % increase)

Did test on Sunday 1 February approximately 68 hours later and the reading was 9384(74% increase)

As you see the levels are increasing but they are not doubling...should I be concerned is this a bad sign, is this a viable pregnancy?
Thank you.

Dear Anon

Since the absolute Beta HCG levels fluctuate significantly you readings may well be in the normal for a healthy pregnancy. It is not an absolute hard and fast rule that levels should double precisely.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim