Posted by: Advisor | 2009-09-17

bf driking too much?

how much is too much?i feel my bf is drinking too much.he want to drink every weekend.and not just 6 or less he would buy 24 or more.the whole weekend.he is 23.his weekend is incomplete without booze.and he never gets drunk.even during the week he would do it.though i asked him a lot of times to reduce but he wont listern.even last night he went to drink after work.i could smell him,i really hate this.and i hate sounding like his mother telling him what to do and what not.hes going to start thinking i want to control him.i dont want a man who drinks all the time.i tell him this mite be cool now but it will affect him in the future.please advise.i dont know if i am right or wrong.what can i do to make him understand.its getting into me because its like he dont want to listern to me.i hate that. and i want wat is best for him

thank you doc

You can't measure "too much" in simple millilitres or glasses. Look more at the pattern of drinking and behaviour. If he can't imagine or acept a weekend without drinking large amounts, he has a drinking problem. If he regularly drinks enough to cause problems --- no time or hangover-free time to do ordinary chores and other pleasures of life ; time off work or neglect of other social duties --- , he has a drinking problem.

Posted by: Ex Drinker | 2009-09-17

Hi. Advisor. I have been a very similar person as your boyfriend. I received lots of advice and complaints and worried looks and so on. The thing is, we do not listen to them. It just makes you mad and we know all the ways and means of how to get our booze. You have to make a conscious decision yourself to stop. No amount of therapy or clinics or love or understanding or prayer or whatever will make you stop. YOU HAVE TO DO IT YOURSELF IN YOUR MIND. This is the best. way I can describe it. I boozed for decades, and then one day I realized, what I was doing and with help (nothing wrong with that) I kicked the habit. It has been 6 or 7 years I cannot even remember, and booze just do not bother me. I even visit bars with friends and simply drink a coke. Just because I decided enough is enough. All the best and I hope he gets it in his mind to stop his stupidity. Just one more thing, do not bargain on your nagging or worry or caring being the reason for him to stop, on the contrary. People with drinking problems are selfish bastards, ask me, I was one.

Reply to Ex Drinker