Posted by: Gretchen | 2009-05-12

Beta hcg count

Dear Doc

My gynae had an unfortunate accident and will only be available in 5 weeks time, so I am a bit stressed and hoping that you will be able to help.

The first date of my LMP was 1 April 09. I tested for ovulation and ovulated round about the 14th of April. About 9 days post ovulation I spotted a bit and I tested at 11 days post ovulation (CD26) and got a feint positive. I went for bloods and the count was 17. My gynae prescribed progesterone and the spotting completely stopped. He told me to go for bloods again 4 days later (CD 30) and the count was 127. He asked me to go for one more test 4 days later (CD34 or 5 days after my missed period) and the count went up to 1383. He was not there when I phoned (the accident happended that weekend) and his receptionist read me the count and told me that on the report it states count high. She says there is a possibility of twins.

Is this count normal? I am completely stressed out especially at the thought of twins and have to wait another 2 and a half weeks for my first scan by a different gynae who is currently on leave so I can also not ask him.

So the beta count of 1383 was done at 2 in the afternoon, when I was 4 weeks and 5 days pregnant.

This is normal and not particularly suggestive of twins.

Posted by: Dee | 2009-05-12

It is absolutely perfect and from a beta count you cant tell whether its twins. Just relax and take it easy, its good that your count has doubled every 2 days.

Reply to Dee