Question
Posted by: Jenna | 2012-10-09

Best/ Worst Foods for low iron

Hi Doc,

I have low iron and while I am on a suppliment, it''s not working very well (perhaps my absorption is not good).

I eat meat EVERYDAY, beetroot a few times a week, beans a few times a week, spinach and other high iron foods once or twice a month.

What foods should be an absolute MUST in my diet, and what foods should I steer clear of ?

I did google but they talk about phenols and all sorts and I really just want a SIMPLE list.

Thank you.

Dear Jenna
The foods which contain the highest quantity of iron that is Available to humans for absorption are: all meats, liver, fish, egg yolk, iron-fortified cereals (in SA all our maize meal and wheat bread are fortified with iron) and dried fruit like raisins (check the pips). Boiled beetroot is NOT a good source of iron, it only contains 0.8 mg per 100g, so although it is a healthy food, it won't increase your iron levels. Spinach does contain a lot of iron, namely 2.3 mg per 100g, BUT the iron in spinach is not available for absorption, so it won't increase your iron levels substantially. Please discuss your apparent inability to absorb iron with the dr who suscribed your iron supplement,and ask him/her if the supplement also contains folic acid and vitamin C. Having a glass of orange juice which is rich in vit C together with iron-fortified breakfast cereals will help your body absorb the iron in the cereals. But keep in mind that it can take up to 3 months for supplementation and diet to fill up depleted iron stores in the body.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-10-10

Dear Jenna