Question
Posted by: Tina | 2012-09-29

Best way to gain weight

Hi doctor,
I have recently been very ill from a violin spider bite and as a consequence have lost a lot of weight. I am 164cm tall and weigh 48 kg (am 36 years old) my doctor is amazed that I am still alive!. Unfortunately, I don''t like chocolate or fried foods but do enjoy avo, seafood and salad. Could you please recommend some ideas to increase calorie intake? Since there is no anti venom for this particular spider, my liver is suffering with trying to process the venom. This has also made me very tired but I am trying to ex resize moderately to get the blood flowing.
Thank you,
Dr C Heiligers (the dr is in physics)

Dear Tina, I remember you question from the 7th of September and will publish my answer to you once again. I hope you can read it this time?
Best regards, DietDoc
7 September 2012
Dear Tina
I am aghast that being bitten by a violin spider has made you so extremely ill and caused such drastic loss of weight. A BMI of 18 is indeed low and it would be desirable for you to gain some weight. I have written some articles on the subject of weight gaining which may be of assistance. For basic information click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' to access the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can also purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight after your severe illness and see which products he or she will recommend (e.g. Ensure, Nutren, etc). Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement. I would also recommend that you take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement such as Supradyn Forte or Centrum to boost your immunity after your illness.
Keep on fighting