Question
Posted by: Matt | 2010-06-30

Best time for cardio

Good day

I''m 25year old guy, been weight training for bout 4-5months now 2-3 times a week to build muscle. i''ve picked up about 5kg. Last week i started to add some 30 minute cardio 3times a week (this will be on the days i''m not weight training). I''ve been doing this in the eveninig.

The reason for this is to lose some of the fat that goes with gaining weight/building muscle to be bit more lean. Now my question is when is best to do it for best results (in terms of both muscle gain and fat loss) - before i have dinner or after. Currently i have dinner at 7pm and do cardio 7:30-8pm. is this the best option?

Your advice/views on this would be very helpful!!

Thanks!

Hi Matt

Before dinner probably works better. That's partly theoretical, partly pragmatic. As long as you are taking in enough energy during the day, there's no problem exercising before you eat.

Also, training after pushes your training back very late. Some people would battle with that, but it's more a practical thing than theoretical.

The problem with training soon after training is that you raise your insulin levels by training, and the evidence is that this reduces the reliance on fat as a fuel, so you're probably better off eating after you train, a) so that you replace the energy you've just used, and b) so that you don't shift your body too much to carbs rather than fat.

1
Posted by: PVS | 2010-07-02

Weight training burnes 3 times more fat than Cardie.

Check our dieet you might have too much callories for you workout. Go to a specialised nutrisionist so they can test you''re thyroid etc and work out a dieet according to you''re body etc.
If you want to do cardio to loose fat do it first thing in the morning before you eat, this will increase you''re metabolic rate for the day and try and do HIIT as this " burns"  fat for about 24 hours after done ( if one correctly)

PVS

Reply to PVS