Question
Posted by: Matt | 2010-06-30

Best time for Cardio

Good day

I''m 25year old guy, been weight training for bout 4-5months now 2-3 times a week to build muscle. i''ve picked up about 5kg. Last week i started to add some 30 minute cardio 3times a week (this will be on the days i''m not weight training). I''ve been doing this in the eveninig.

The reason for this is to lose some of the fat that goes with gaining weight/building muscle to be bit more lean. Now my question is when is best to do it for best results (in terms of both muscle gain and fat loss) - before i have dinner or after. Currently i have dinner at 7pm and do cardio 7:30-8pm. is this the best option?

Your advice on this would be very helpful!!

Dear Matt
I am of the opinion that it is better to do cardio exercises before you have a large meal because when you have eaten a considerable amount of food at a main meal, blood is rerouted to your digestive system and less blood is available to your muscles. You will thus not be exercising at an optimum level if you eat a large meal and then exercise. It is fine to have a light carbohydrate snack about 30 min before doing intensive cardio, but not a large meal. Some people even feel nauseous if they do strenuous exercise on a full stomach.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-06-30

Dear Matt